Please note: Due to COVID-19, this class will be offered for free and online via Zoom.
This class will meet for 2.5 hour once a week for 6-weeks.
If you are ready to start a small business or are very new to business, this class is for you! Start Smart is a six-week course where you will learn the basic tools and business fundamentals needed to start-up successfully. You will work with a Business Model Canvas (a visual hands-on tool) to get your ideas down on paper, test, refine and confirm concepts, and adjust your conclusions about customer needs. This class meets once a week for three hours.
- Learn how to define your vision
- Create a mission statement
- Assess your skills, passion and resources
- Craft a business strategy to match your reality
- Test the viability of your products and services
Class Ground Rules
- Required to have your camera on and ready to engage for every class
- Work on homework assignments weekly
- Recommended to join using a laptop/computer and not phone to fully engage
- Have a business idea already in mind to do classwork
- Present and Submit a Business Model Canvas on the last day of class
- Certificates will be given to those who submit and present a Business Model Canvas.
Instructor: Vanita Lee-Tatum
Vanita is a visual artist, entrepreneurship educator and positive force of nature. For more than ten years, Vanita advanced banking initiatives for small businesses in the Bay Area. Today she uses the skills acquired during her time as a Banking VP to help organizations create their own financial growth. Through consulting, her clients develop the skills to build community, execute strategies, and grow their businesses. Vanita is passionate about empowering women of color and developing entrepreneurs of all types.
Please note that we will give priority to residents of Oakland and Alameda County first. We will not allow residents outside of the San Francisco Bay Area counties. Thank you for your understanding.register here
- Derek Goldstone
May 31 @ 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
May 31 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
June 6 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm